Review: Judas Priest's You've Got Another Thing Comin' Video

I really would rather do anything than spend all day reconciling my accounts, hence this post.

This morning, while flipping through the channels to find CNN Headline News, I did what usually happens. I stopped on VH1 Classic. VH1 Classic is completely amazing. Everything they show is either absolutely amazing or absolutely awful, but very entertaining either way. Plus, I am a DJ, so really I'm just doing research on American Pop Culture. Totally justified. I've got to admit, though, it is very weird to watch a video at 7:45 in the morning. Sort of like eating lobster for breakfast. VH1 loves 80's metal, which is good. I was into New Wave and Punk in the 80's. Metal was for those guys who rebuilt Chevy Novas. Bands like Judas Priest and Blue Oyster Cult kind of scared me. I've since gotten up to speed on the whole movement and have found that, in retrospect, this music was not quite so "evil". In fact, pretty laughable and harmless.

So, the plot for this Judas Priest video is as follows: Judas Priest is playing You've Got Another Thing Comin' outside in some urban area. There is this guy, who represents "The Man", who is walking around with a decibel meter trying to find where the loud music is coming from. Towards the end of the song, he finds the band and points his decibel meter at them. The meter is, of course, pinned to the right. The singer sees "The Man" pointing the meter. The singer strikes some metal hand gesture towards the guy, smoke goes up all over the place, and the guy's head gets blown off. We then see the headless man collapse and die. Now, I am not a fan of violence, but this video was totally hilarious. I was laughing to the point of tears. It, as they say, made my day. Also, I have to admit, it's a pretty catchy song. It's still stuck in my head. Rating: 4 of 5 stars.

Update: I saw this video again and realized that it was remarkable for two things: 1: No women. It's just a battle between "The Band" and "The Man". Has there ever been another metal video with no "sexy" metal women? 2: A very subtle use of posterization, the most cheesy and overused gimmick of 80's videos. Sure, it's in there, but only in a few choice moments. Very tasteful!